App development deals with frameworks and platforms that facilitate development of apps for researchers who are comfortable working with code and scripting languages. This may be the only way to accommodate research projects with highly specialized needs.
- AppGyver Supersonic - create apps in minutes without having to write any code
- CORONA - app developing in Lua with extensive APIs
- Dojo Mobile - lightweight package of widgets for creating web-based mobile apps
- Google App Engine - platform for running apps in various languages and frameworks
- jQuery Mobile - HTML5-based user interface system for creating apps for smartphones and tablets